Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Reading all I can before school starts...

The Alchemyst
Okay! So this is a book that came before one of the books that Tee reviewed earlier. It's by Michael Scott (the office! haha). It's about these twins and this magical adventure they get into. The book worked in a lot of real mythology and facts, which was cool. In theory, it kind of reminded me of "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, but for younger kids.

However, "American Gods" is extremely well-written and this book was... not so much. I like it in theory, but I didn't really feel attached to any of the characters, which made me not care so much what happened. There were a couple of humorous moments, but overall I wasn't really feeling it. And it really started to irritate me that they kept calling humans "humani." Maybe I'm over-analyzing. I know Tee and my stepmom Michelle both liked it (read Tee's review of the third book in the series here), and I'm sure a lot of younger kids probably like it, but it just failed to make a connection for me. 6 pretzel bites.
KAY

No comments:

Post a Comment