Monday, August 10, 2009

More non-fiction (a memoir)!


A Wolf at the Table
This book, by Augusten Burroughs, is a true story about how crazy his dad is. He is, to quote the back of the book, "sociopathic." Burroughs has written several other memoirs as well. The ones I've read are "Dry" and "Running with Scissors" (his most famous one). Based on these books, Burroughs has earned a reputation for talking about how messed up his life is in a really hilarious way. However, "A Wolf at the Table" is not like this. There are some very funny lines, but overall it's not a funny book. It's kind of creepy. Plus, there are some things that happen to his pets which made me sad.

My problem was that it wasn't creepy enough. It kind of walked the line. There were some really intense moments where I'd get all caught up and start going, "Wow, his dad is a PSYCHO." And then there'd be a lot of heavy description and I'd lose interest a little bit. Plus, most of it was told from his point of view as a child and then towards the end it suddenly jumped through his adulthood which felt a little... rushed. Overall, I think if you're going to read just one Burroughs book, it shouldn't be this one. I prefer the other two I've read, not just for the humor, but also for the structure. I give it 7 pretzel bites.
KAY

1 comment:

  1. Hey you guys! I am so excited to get started on your list. I haven't read most of these yet but they all sound pretty interesting. I'm so glad you guys have a blog. Thanks for the letter and the heads up, Kay. Glad you've had a chance to get back to reading for the fun of it. Talk with you soon.

    ReplyDelete