Friday, December 25, 2009

The gossip girl of the 19th century

Rumors
This is the sequel to the book "The Luxe" by Anna Godbersen. These books are so addicting and fun to read. I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't read the first one, but the books track the various love stories, scandals, etc. of some high society people living in New York in 1899. This book opens with a wedding scene, and you know Henry is getting married, but you don't know to who. It sucks you in right away.

My friend called the series "the gossip girl of the 19th century," and I think that's a perfect description. However, even though "Gossip Girl" is entertaining, it also kind of makes me feel like an idiot. With the Luxe books, that doesn't happen. Godbersen doesn't underestimate the reader; she's not afraid to use big words. I really like her descriptions, because she allows you to get a clear picture in your head, but her descriptions aren't so long that they make you bored. Also, you can tell a lot of planning went into the books, because there are so many minor characters and connections.

Plus, I like hearing the descriptions of 1899 high society, and I also just like looking at the dresses on the book covers. So, overall, it's kind of girly, but really fun to read and you will definitely get sucked in. My step-mom and I have been talking all about the books and our favorite characters, etc. all week. I give it a solid 8.5 pretzel bites.
KAY

No comments:

Post a Comment