Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Latest summer reading

The Lie
Alright. I just finished reading this book by Chad Kultgen. Let me give you a basic plot summary: Boy likes girl. Girl is actually completely materialistic. Boy's best friend just loves demeaning women in general. Everyone tries to ruin each others' lives.

I was a little disappointed by this book. The back makes it sound really intriguing and intense. In reality, a majority of the book was pointless descriptions of sex. The characters all seemed shallow and one-dimensional. I hated all of them. I understand what Kultgen was going for: a story where there is no hero, no happy endings, something to confuse and challenge the reader. And I guess he accomplished that, to some degree. It was an easy book to get through, but overall I was disappointed, and got a little bit scared of college (although I'm pretty sure it's not actually the way it's portrayed in this book). 6 pretzel bites
KAY

No comments:

Post a Comment