Sunday, April 25, 2010

Y.S.K.O.V.

You Shall Know Our Velocity!
This is a novel by the wonderful Dave Eggers. The basic premise is this: the main character, Will, came into quite a bit of money by doing virtually nothing and he doesn't want it. One of his best friends since childhood, Jack, just died and, in addition, Will was just badly beaten up, leaving his face all gruesome looking. Will and his other best friend, Hand, decide to go around the world and give all the money away, but they only have a week to do it. I will let you know that this is not one of those books where they get to the first place and decide, "Actually, let's just stay here." They really do go several places.

The plot is not gripping, but that doesn't really bother me. The characters are amazing and the writing is beautiful. I love the character of Will. Basically, the whole book is just an extended look into his head and it's fascinating. The middle was the best part. I think it fizzled out a little bit at the end. Not that the end was bad, the middle was just better. Overall, if you're looking for gorgeous, quality writing with interesting characters, I fully recommend this book. 8.5 pretzel bites!
KAY

1 comment:

  1. Troy in ColoradoMay 4, 2010 at 5:13 PM

    Sounds like exactly what I am looking for in a "Summer read." Something that I can enjoy just for the experience of reading quality work without much of a point. That's why I get such a kick out of Cormac McCarthy, no point-brilliant style. Thanks for the tip, Troy in Colorado

    ReplyDelete