Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mystery, jokes, and graduation

Paper Towns
This is a book I got for Christmas by John Green. It's about this semi-nerdy kid, Q, who is infatuated with this girl named Margo. He goes on this crazy all-night adventure with her, and then she disappears. However, she leaves a string of clues behind her, and Q is determined to find her. I didn't like this book as much as Green's book "An Abundance of Katherines" (reviewed here), but it was still an entertaining and addicting read (a.k.a. I didn't sleep as much as I should have because I wanted to stay up reading). I just thought that Q's friends were a little more interesting than Q himself, and sometimes Q had a way of getting a little overly philosophical. While his musings were interesting, they were the parts of the book I liked the least. His friends got a little philosophical at times too, but I found those musings a lot more interesting and they made more of a connection with me. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the ending. However, I still recommend this book because I had a fun time reading it. Also, all the thoughts on high school graduation got me thinking about my (fast approaching) graduation, so it was nice to have that connection.

Random unimportant fact: there's this one character in the book named Radar, and the way he is described in the book sounded a lot like this kid in my class, so without meaning to I've started thinking about Radar and the kid I know as the same person. Anyway, I give this book 7.5 pretzel bites
KAY

No comments:

Post a Comment