Monday, June 22, 2009

So I just finished this book called...

It's Kind of a Funny Story

Here's basically what it's about: this high school kid is extremely depressed, cracking under all this pressure, and about to kill himself, and he ends up in the mental hospital. I know, it sounds like a complete downer. Here's the thing: it's not. It's actually a really funny book. At the same time, though, the author (Ned Vizzini) doesn't take the issue of depression too lightly. But he also doesn't make it sound overly dramatic and fake. That is hard to do.

This is one of those books that you don't get bored of. You want to keep reading it. I have to say, I liked the first third or so of the book (before he ends up in the mental hospital) better than the rest because it was a little more real and easier to relate to, but I definitely never got sick of reading. Throughout the book, I was constantly relating to the main character. A lot of the issues in his life are similar to the issues in mine, and I bet a lot of other teens would agree. He's a character that's very accessible, and uses just the type of humor that I enjoy. In fact, a lot of the book sounds like something I might have written (although Vizzini is a much better writer than me, obviously). I give this book 8 pretzel bites!
KAY

No comments:

Post a Comment